Dear Job Candidate: Some Advice While Working with a Recruiter
Dear Job Candidate,
First of all, I want to let you know how excited we are to work with you. If this is the first time that you have utilized the services of a recruiter, you may feel some apprehension and uncertainty; however, you can rest assured that as recruiters it is our job to find a mutually beneficial employment opportunity for both you and your future employer. In order to help us do our jobs successfully, here is some advice to take into consideration.
- We are looking for serious job seekers, and it is in everyone’s best interest that the candidates who contact us are serious about finding a long term employment opportunity. Being a serious candidate involves open communication and prompt response time. Failure to respond quickly can be the difference between getting a job offer and missing an opportunity; as a result, it is important to keep your response time short and your calendar close should we need to quickly schedule meetings.
- Along with quick response times, we encourage candidates to ask questions. We want you to feel comfortable and knowledgeable while working with us, and the best way to accomplish that is through asking questions as they arise. In addition to asking questions about the process of working with a recruiter, you may be curious about the career experiences that we have had that will lend themselves to matching you appropriately. Always feel free to ask these questions, we are more than happy to answer them!
- Although we are experts in matching candidates with employers, we need a starting point to work from; therefore, it is important that you come prepared to work with us. Being prepared to work with a recruiter involves having a resume and cover letter that are up to date and complete, in addition to being open to ideas and constructive criticism.
- When it comes to working with a recruiter, honesty is the best policy. As we strive to match you with a job that will result in long term employment, please don’t embellish your past work experience or the reason behind the gap on your resume. Even though our experiences as recruiters will help us to see through these embellishments, they do not foster a trusting recruiter/candidate relationship and can result in placing you with the wrong company. The best way to place you in a position that will help you to reach your professional goals is to be open and honest about everything from job experience to salary expectations and the real reasons you left previous positions.
- Once we have established a professional relationship, allow us to guide you through the process. Believe me, we have experience in this field and are prepared to assist you from editing your resume through prepping for interviews. We will even help you to negotiate an offer should you make a good impression during an interview. Remember that while it may be tempting to reach out to companies directly, it is our job to make sure that the process moves smoothly for you and the employer from start to finish!
- We know that you are ready to start working, but keep in mind that the right job may not be available immediately. Please have patience while we are busy matching candidates with open positions. Just because we don’t have a job waiting for you the moment you contact us does not mean that we have forgotten about you, it just means that we are busy utilizing our local contacts to find the right opportunity to match your qualifications.
- Keep in mind that we appreciate feedback from our candidates both past and present. Don’t shut down the lines of communication as soon as you have landed a job; instead, keep in touch and give us feedback on your experience working with us through direct contact or writing a review!
As recruiters, we understand what a long and often frustrating process finding a suitable job can be for candidates. Our hope is that we can make the process easier for both employers and candidates, and through following the advice above, you will be making that process more positive and successful.
The BTS Team